Ever notice how the things you don’t want to grow fast like you’re little ones, the grass (ugh, Mowing!) weeds, (Double UGH!)- absolutely do, but not the things you’d like to grow quickly – like your hair! Yeah, it can be one of those totally frustrating things in life, but luckily there are some things (actually many!) you can do to help give those roots a kick in the pants, and to seriously start growing faster already!
Read on for 15 of the best ways to help grow faster, quicker!
15 Tips To Grow Your Hair Longer and Faster:
1. Don’t shampoo your hair daily. Doing so can strip hair of natural oils which actually helps give hair strength and hydration, allowing it to grow faster and healthier. To extend blowouts, use a Dry Shampoo to soak up excess oil at the scalp, leaving hair looking fresh and clean. Bonus: it gives hair some awesome texture for easy styling! Also, be sure to condition every time you shampoo. Conditioner replaces your hair with lipids and proteins it needs to be healthier and to grow more successfully.
2. Be gentle when brushing your hair and do it as little as possible. And absolutely DO NOT ever brush hair while wet, as this can cause breakage and damage to hair. Tip: Use a boar brush and brush hair a little bit at night before bed. Boar brushes are great for helping distribute hair’s natural oil down to the ends, helping strengthen and nourish hair. Brush until shiny.
3. Don’t wrap up that hair in a towel after your shower. It’s yet another thing that causes damage and breakage to hair. (Noticing a pattern here yet? – Be oh so gentle with wet hair- always!) Tip: Use a more gentle, microfiber towel, and carefully blot and scrunch hair to soak up excess moisture.
4. Use a hair mask or hot oil treatment weekly. Both are great for helping hair become stronger, more hydrated, and healthier too – all of which add up to hair growing faster and longer!
5. Sleep on a silk pillowcase or wrap your hair in a silk scarf. This will prevent excess tugging while sleeping. Not only will you wake to better hair days, but your hair will be less likely to break off earlier too!
6. Switch up ponytail placement or avoid them totally if you can! Those handy elastics (even the metal-free kind) are still causing damage and breakage to your hair, so limit them as often as you can and vary where you place them too.
7. Limit Hot Tools as much as possible. This is a no-brainer here, but heat=damaging. Instead, start learning to love the natural texture of your hair. Sea Salt Spray is always good for a quick do with minimal styling. Tip: If you do use the hot tools, be sure to keep the flat iron set at 350 Degrees or lower, and ALWAYS use a thermal spray first, to help protect hair from the heat. Don’t be afraid to use it twice between blowdrying and curling!
8. Avoid Hair Products that contain alcohol, parabens, and silicones. Oh the parabens, we hear all the time how much we need to avoid them but often times we have no idea why! Well, it turns out that these nasty little chemicals actually dry and strip hair of natural oils, leaving them to be more prone to breakage. Now you know!
9. Going out in the sun? Protect your hair with a hat or by spraying a leave in conditioner. This helps hair retain moisture and also provides a protective barrier against drying UV rays.
10. Drink lots of water and eat the right foods. Hair is made up of proteins, so guess what you should be eating? Look for healthy protein and hair-straightening fats such as nuts, avocado, olive oil, beans, legumes, seeds, fish, tofu, and leafy greens. Also eat foods high in vitamins, especially vitamins A, B, and E. Tip: Avoid the trendy juice cleanse – they not only deplete your body of much-needed nutrients but your hair too!
11. Take a Biotin Supplement. If there is one thing on this list I suggest you do, this is it! I have been taking Biotin regularly for a few years now and can attest to how effective this is for growing hair out. It made my hair grow longer than it had ever been able to previously! Tip: Be patient with Biotin, it can take a year of regular use to show results, though most notice improvement much quicker.
12. Get regular haircuts. Ohhhhh noooooo …. yeah it’s easy to want to put this one off, but regular trims get rid of those split ends that can work its way up the hair shaft, causing even more breakage to hair! Regular cuts help keep hair healthy, increasing it’s chances to grow longer and better.
13. Massage your scalp. Research shows it improves circulation. Any time you get the blood flowing to the roots is a good thing! Tip: turn your head upside down (again improving more circulation here) to massage.
14. While you’re doing there doing that exhilarating and super relaxing scalp massage, add some essential oils such as peppermint, tea tree oil, and lemon oil, which are also great for stimulating the scalp. Hey, anything helps right!?
15. Be Patient! On average hair grows only 1/2 inch per month. While these tips have been shown to help hair grow out longer and faster, it unfortunately, is still not going to grow as fast as those weeds! So get into a routine of doing these healthy things for your hair right now, and you’ll be well on your way to having that gorgeous super long, super healthy hair in no time!
What are some of your tips for growing your hair longer and faster? Leave me a comment below! I love hearing from you!