Happy Black Diamond Month! Black Diamonds- Made popular by Carrie Bradshaw in HBO’s Hit “Sex and The City” when she received a beautiful black diamond engagement ring from Mr. Big, this unique diamond is now more popular than ever. Yet, some people still wonder about this dark sister of the classic white diamond.
(Image: Mona Lisa Black & White Diamond Bracelet by Roberto Demeglio)
Amit Sofer, President of Roberto Demeglio – a high-end Italian jewelry line which features black diamonds – offers up 10 facts about this unique and beautiful stone:
- Not All Black Diamonds Are Black. Its natural color is black or dark grey, and it is more porous than other diamonds.
- They Have A Portuguese Name. Black diamonds are also called Carbonado. A name coined by the Portuguese because of the diamond’s resemblance to porous charcoal.
- They Definitely Are Unique. Naturally made black diamonds are the rarest among all diamonds.
- Black Diamonds Are Very Old. Black diamonds originated on earth 3.5 billion years ago!
- They Are Only Found In Two Places. They are found in Central African Republic and Brazil, with Brazil being the major source.
- Some Say They Are From Outer Space. Black Diamonds are said to have their origin in interstellar space, due to the impact of an asteroid.
- Transparency Is A Plus. Translucent or semi-transparent black diamonds are very rare and naturally command a very high price.
- Most Black Diamonds Are Man-Made. Most of the black diamonds that are on the market today are man-made. Man-made black diamonds go through a treatment process to give them their black color as well as uniformity.
- Black Diamonds Are Evaluated The Same Way As White Diamonds. Even if the diamond is treated, it is still a real diamond, and its value will be based on the 4 Cs – carat, clarity, cut and color. The black color should be uniform throughout the diamond and the surface should be sparkling and glossy.
- The Fifth Largest Diamond In The World Is A Black Diamond. The Spirit of de Grisogono at 312.24 carats is the world’s largest cut black diamond, and the world’s 5th largest diamond.