Oh the joys of getting older, if only our face didn’t have to show what we’ve been through. I’ve reached the age where my friends are starting to get Botox on the regular, and often times I wonder why I haven’t. Oh right, probably because it costs an arm and a leg, at least when you add up what you pay over the year to maintain that beautiful no-wrinkled complexion!
Being a beauty blogger, I get the luxury of trying some top of the line skin creams and products for softening up those lines and fading those sun spots. Sometimes they are a total hit, (and often still cost a small fortune!) and other times, they can be a total miss. But while skin creams are great for adding moisture to the skin, brightening up that complexion, and slowing the signs of aging, sometimes they aren’t the total answer! In fact, there are actually quite a few things you can do right now to erase years off your face, and you’ll be amazed at how inexpensive many of these tips are!
Besides the obvious tips of eating well and working out regularly (which works incredibly well for helping you look younger than you are!) There are some great skincare, hair, makeup, and even fashion tips that will help you look 10 years younger! I’ve compiled a list of my favorite, tried-and-true tips, I have used regularly to look younger than my age – sans the Botox!
16 Inexpensive Tips to Help You Look 10 Years Younger:
- Get a more youthful haircut. Bangs are not only great for hiding some unfortunate lines on the forehead, but they also make you look younger, and draw the eyes up, hiding that little bit of eyelid sag you may have noticed over the last few years.
- Get Highlights. Notice those gray hairs showing up more and more frequently? Getting some highlights will help those gray hairs blend in a little better, making your overall appearance look that much younger.
- Use a thickening tonic and a root lift spray. Is your hair thinning a bit? These two products will give you more volume and make hair look fuller and more youthful too. Don’t be afraid to use a hair growth shampoo too, as this is often a great tool for helping to add more volume to the hair as well.
- Use matte instead of shimmery eye shadows. Shimmery colors with all that fun sparkle and shine, actually have a way of creeping into those lines and folds and getting stuck, in turn making your wrinkles stick out. Uh oh! Stick to matte shadows once you reach your 40s.
- Use a liquid instead of a powder foundation and Blush (Don’t forget the blush!) Again, just like the shimmery shadow, powder foundation can get stuck in the fine lines and wrinkles. Avoid shimmery foundations for this reason as well and whatever you do, don’t forget the blush! It’s one of the easiest and best ways to look more youthful in seconds!
- Wear a lighter colored lipstick and don’t forget the lip liner! Dark plums, deep reds, and browns will make your lips look smaller. Use a brighter, lighter lipstick or gloss instead. Begin by using a lip liner and fill in around your mouth lines. You can also draw outside them just a bit and exaggerate just a little at the areas around your lips that look a bit more on the thin side. Don’t draw too far out the lines, as this can have the opposite effect. Fill in with a matching lipstick, and voila! More voluptuous, fuller lips that always have a way of making you look younger!
- Don’t be afraid to use a lot of concealer under the eyes. Obviously, you don’t want to go overboard with the concealer, but oftentimes you can use more than you think. Don’t be afraid to play around with it until you get the perfect application. This will help cover up and brighten up dark under eye circles and fine lines, making your eyes instantly look more youthful!
- Fill in those brows! Unfortunately like the lips, brows start to thin too as we age. Get a pencil that is a bit darker than your eyebrow color and start filling them in. Define those eyebrows and play around with shape until you find the most flattering for your face. It’s amazing what a thicker, darker eyebrow can do for erasing years off your face.
- Whiten those teeth! Our teeth yellow as we age thanks to all that coffee drinking! A trip to the dentist is ideal for getting some amazing results but if you’re looking to save some money, it’s amazing how well a lot of at-home treatments whiten too!
- Moisturize religiously. This goes for the body as well as your face. Rub your skin down with lotion right out of the shower, when your skin is still a bit damp, in order to get the most benefit from that moisturizing lotion. Wash your face every night before you go to bed and follow up with an anti-aging serum and an anti-aging moisturizer. My favorite is the Glocione Glutathione Skin Whitening Face Cream by Omiera Labs. This cream not only replenishes the skin with nutrients that the skin has lost with age, but it is incredibly moisturizing and has some amazing anti-aging benefits as well. Its an all-in-one face cream that will lighten those sun spots, fade the wrinkles, and give your skin a beautiful, healthy, more youthful glow too! It is lightweight, absorbed by the skin nicely, and makes skin feel so soft and supple too. It is also very inexpensive compared to other skin creams on the market, but still contains the same high-quality ingredients to deliver fast effective results.
- Moisturize that neck and the back of the hands too! Even if you’re religious about applying those nice anti-aging skin creams to your face (and it happens to be looking more and more youthful), your neck and hands can still give your age away! Yeah, you’ll go through more night cream this way, but it’s totally worth it! Apply skin creams nightly to face, neck, and hands.
- Use Lash Growth Serum. The eyelashes also thin with age, just like lips and eyebrows. Use a serum containing ingredients that will nourish and condition the lashes, strengthen them, and encourage growth too. You can also use it on your eyebrows as well to help thicken them up and make them look fuller and more defined too!
- Keep Skincare Products in the Fridge. This is a little-known secret among beauty enthusiasts, but the cool temperature helps make those anti-aging ingredients in your skin creams that much more effective, by providing a natural “lift” to the face you often just don’t quite get from using room temperature skin cream.
Fashion: Yep, what you wear can actually make you look more youthful too!
- Stay away from clothes that make you look like you’re trying to look younger than your age. Once you reach a certain age, usually around ages 35-40, mini skirts, mini dresses and spaghetti strap clothing will actually make you look older than you are! Stick to clothing that is well fitted, and doesn’t show too much skin. Pick materials that look more expensive and luxurious too, as “cheaper” clothing also has a way of making you look like you’re trying to look younger.
- Get a well-fitted bra. Unfortunately, the face isn’t the only thing starting to sag as we age. Make sure your bra is a perfect fit and giving the girls the proper lift. Not sure of your size? Visit a lingerie store and have them measure you, then stock up on those right-fitting bras!
- A V-neck will actually make you look younger! I know this one sounds a bit crazy, but stay with me for a minute. The V-neck actually draws the eyes up to your face, and in the process, makes your neckline, chest, and shoulders look a little more leaner. This natural lifting of the eyes up, also makes your face appear a bit more lifted too! The V-Neck is also super flattering for every body type!
While Plastic Surgery and injections are some of the quickest, most effective ways to lose those years off your face, they still come at a price, and sometimes a hefty (non-financial) one at that! These 16 tips are effective as well, and can be done right at home, right now, and all without emptying your wallet or risking your health in the process!
What are some of your favorite tips for helping yourself look younger? Leave me a comment and let me know! I love hearing from you!