*This Post contains affiliate links for which I will be compensated when purchases are made.
I was recently staying at my boyfriend’s house when a family friend of his roommate’s had come to stay for the weekend to explore some of Utah. As I chatted with her in the bathroom watching her unpack, I was amazed to see the 3 bags of clothing and beauty she brought all the way from West Virginia for just 6 days! I was even more horrified to see full-size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion come out of her bag, not to mention a big makeup case that usually only makeup artists travel with! I can’t even imagine what the airport charged her to fly all of this stuff here, and I have no idea how she even got it all past TSA!
I travel often back and forth to see my boyfriend, and I’ve spent much of my life exploring most of the U.S., so I feel like I’ve gotten a pretty good grasp on packing, and as a fashion blogger, I can tell you, you absolutely don’t have to sacrifice your style in order to pack light while traveling!
Here are some of my tips for helping you get the most out of your luggage space:
1. Pack clothing that can be worn together more than once. Pick neutral colors or a similar color scheme and mix and match pieces for different looks. You’ll find that by packing this way, you need far less clothing, and because you’ve packed in the same color scheme, your outerwear, bags, shoes, and accessories will go well with every outfit too, so you can pack less of that as well!
2. Pick easy fabrics that don’t require a lot of maintenance. I love Jersey because you can roll it up and toss it in your bag and it won’t wrinkle! Look for other non-wrinkling, machine-washable, easy to care for fabrics to pack! Avoid denim that tends to take up a lot of space in your bag, not to mention, it absorbs odors and dirt from luggage too!
3. Packing Cubes can be lifesavers, and they’re totally affordable too! Pick up a set with all different sizes. Not only do they keep you organized and your garments protected, but they also do an amazing job of helping you utilize every last little space in your suitcase! They also keep clothing from shifting during transit, so when you open up your suitcase at your destination, you’ll find your clothes have stayed neat and tidy, and wrinkle-free too!
4. Limit the accessories. I know, I can hear the sighs from you fashion-lovers now, but it’s no question that bags, shoes, and hats can take up a ton of space in your suitcase. Limit yourself to one day bag and one small clutch for evening. I love to pack crossbody bags that can fit all of my daytime essentials for walking around the city. I stay organized and have everything at my fingertips, but can keep my hands free by wearing the crossbody, across my body!
Limit shoes to one comfy pair of walking shoes and one pair for going out. I love the look and comfort of flat boots that work great for walking in the day AND going out at night for cocktails or dinner! If you pack boots, limit yourself to only one and wear them on the plane so they don’t take up a ton of space in your suitcase.
5. Limit the outerwear. Stay away from bulky heavy coats and jackets unless you’re visiting Aspen for a snowboarding trip. Pack in layers instead, such as scarfs, shawls, and cardigans. They also provide some great warmth for a cold airplane!
6. Keep the beauty products small and contained. The last thing you want is a spill in your luggage, or even worse – not being able to get through TSA because your beauty products don’t fit the required regulation size! I love the Ikikin Silicon Squeezable Travel Bottle Set which is both TSA Approved and Leak-proof! The set comes with 4 large bottles, a mini bottle, toothbrush cover and mini cream jar, as well as the handy plastic leak-proof bag to store it in! It keeps my beauty all in one place, nicely organized, and gives me easy and quick access to pull it out of my luggage when heading through security at the airport.
The bottles come with Suction cups attached, so they stick on the shower wall or mirror, for convenient use once you get to your destination! They also have printed ID label windows to help you identify which is your lotion, shampoo, soap, sunscreen, or conditioner!
The silicon travel bottles are very easy to use, easy to refill and squeezable, with large mouths that refill and clean very easily! No need to buy expensive travel-size beauty products from your favorite retailers, just fill your Ikikin Silicon travel set with your favorite full-size product whenever you run out! These handy bottles keep your luggage light and all of your belongings in your Tumi Briefcase Canada safe from possible product spills
Looking for more travel and packing tips? Visit my blog post on 40 Best Travel tips Here.
Visit Ikikin Here on Amazon!
What are some of your best tips for packing? Let me know in the comments! I love hearing from you!