*photo courtesy of Demi Lovato’s instagram
Michelle Rene Elam, the department head of hair on CW’s Jane the Virgin, is sharing her TV styling secrets for creating the hair seen throughout the show’s 4th season. Michelle is available for other interviews on styling as well. Thank you for considering her!
Backstage Hair Secrets & Styling Tips from the Hairstylist on CW’s Jane the Virgin
Season 4 has been filled with stories that are keeping us on our toes. Jane is finally moving on after the loss of Michael and has found new and old love. We began the season with her fresh new sporty fun style that she is now growing out. She has found herself reaching for a little of her old self for comfort from all the changes.
I keep her hair in good shiny condition by using White Sands Liquid Texture Spray (available in Medium & Firm) as a heat protectant and the strong hold, Firm version for her growing waves. I finish her off with White Sands Orchids Oil or an argan oil.
When she imagines herself as one of her storybook characters, wild versions of her appear. From pink/blonde hair to high long ponytails, I keep it in place with I.C.O.N. Done Finishing Spray.
Keeping up with Jane is Petra, whom once the villain of the show has tried to change her ways and be a smart business woman. Her golden locks have softened but as the story turns she will soon sport a very chic look. I double up products using a shine protectant spray over the top of White Sands Liquid Texture Medium Thermal Spray to seal her curl in best. That product cocktail allows her hair to flow all day without need for hairspray.
Like this post? Please share with your friends!
Celebrity Hairstylist Gregory Russell styles Lily James for the 2018 Golden Globes Red Carpet
Lily James’ hair made a romantic statement last night for the 2018 Golden Globes.
Inspiration: Gregory was inspired by Lily’s statement-making, black Valentino gown to create a soft and graceful updo that compliments the ruffled neckline and low back.
Celebrity hairstylist Chad Wood worked with Vanessa Hudgens using John Frieda Hair Care for last night’s So You Think You Can Dance Episode.
Inspiration: Chad was inspired by the movie Atomic Blonde, transforming Vanessa into a high-fashion blonde bombshell that gave off a kick ass attitude.
Below is how to get the look from Chad:
1. Start off by prepping wet hair with John Frieda Luxurious Volume Perfectly Full Mousse
2. Next, blow dry the hair taking all sections away from the face and getting extra volume
3. Then, section off the hair wrapping the hair around a one-inch barrel and secure the curls in place with John Frieda Luxurious Volume Forever Full Hairspray
4. Lastly, finish the look off with John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon Touch Up Crème to give your hair a more lived in look, with a flawlessly smooth and shiny finish
5. Prevent any extra frizz and apply John Frieda Frizz Ease Original Six Effects Serum on the ends, transforming dry hair into soft, smooth strands
Be sure to follow MyStyleSpot on Snapchat as @MintCandyCrush to stay up to date on all things hair and beauty!
Last night, Claire Foy’s hair made a statement about in-betweeness. Claire’s look by Jillian Halouska, celebrated the style that Rei Kawakubo, Comme des Garçons designer and 2017 Met Gala honoree is known for.
Inspiration: Jillian Halouska took inspiration from Rei’s work to create a look that was feminine and structured but also had some edge.
Step by step to recreate her look:
· To start, apply John Frieda Frizz Ease Clearly Defined Styling Gel on wet hair
· Next, using a rat tail comb, create a severe side part and section a piece of the hair in the front
· Begin to brush the rest of the hair using a boar brush (leaving the front sectioned area aside) into a ponytail and secure it with a bungee hair tie
· Apply John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength Serum to the ponytail, working from the top to the ends of the hair to prevent any flyaways and frizz
· To create the sculptural look, take a long piece of leather and satin and secure it to the ponytail using bobby pins
· Then, take the sectioned hair from the front and comb it back and wrap it around the bungee to hide the elastic, pins and pieces
· Wrap the two pieces around the hair working down to the ends and secure it at the bottom with a pin
· To finish and lock in the style, spray John Frieda Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hold Hairspray
Inspiration: Gregory Russell was inspired by Hailee’s structured Vera Wang gown and this year’s exhibition to create a slick, high shine, sculptural top knot.
Step by step guide to recreate the look:
1. Start with wet hair and apply styling gel straight to the root and using a tail comb to section the hair, apply gel every 2 inches to the roots as smooth as possible.
2. Work the gel through the length and ends of hair.
3. Next use a wire brush to pull the hair up to the top of the crown. Using a comb, smooth out any bumps and flyaways before tying hair with a bungee hair tie.
4. Brush out the tail of the pony and begin to twist it into the desired knot shape. Once the shape is achieved, pin it down as discretely as possible using bobby pins.
5. The using a blow dryer with a diffuser, dry the hair in a circular motion and create the high gloss finish by applying two pumps of John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra strength Serum- working from the front of the hair to the knot.
6. Finally, spray with hair spray to lock in the style