Handbags are probably the number one coveted item for most fashionistas! There is something that makes us feel truly special when it comes to what we are toting around, wether it be that newest designer bag, a vintage classic, or just a beautiful faux leather bag we just love to death!
Not that long ago, I was actually a one-purse kind of girl. (I actually have no idea how this ever happened!) I’m completely obsessed with organization and when it came to what I carried around in my bag with me, it all had to be right where I knew it would be, when I needed it. I would use one bag until I ruined it or it was hanging on by a thread. Then I would get a new one and do the same thing.
Since that time, I’ve certainly changed my ways. It bugs me to not be perfectly organized, especially when it comes to what’s in my handbag, but I’ve come to a point in my life where I would rather sacrifice the organization for that beautiful one-of-a-kind handbag.
I recently picked up this lovely vintage quilted fabric Dior, Lady Dior handbag. It’s so much smaller than my other handbags, I really had to get picky about what I keep inside. Believe it or not, it’s completely stuffed with the few contents below. I normally carry a lot more essentials around with me, but I do love that this bag forces me to carry less. I hate a tired shoulder from lugging around so much crap all day, and this has happened all too often to me! I’m sure most of you can relate!
Some of you may be like I was, and are currently learning the ways of the handbag. That is why I love the Guide to Handbags from Rue La La (one of my favorite designer deal shopping sites!) Here you can get a guide to all different kinds of bags. Unlike my tiny little Dior here, you may be more of a big tote girl, especially if you like to lug around a lot of daily essentials!
I love the fact that this guide helps you choose the best type of bag for the occasion. I think a lot of us women make the mistake of lugging around a satchel or regular handbag to an elegant dinner when you should really be wearing a clutch or a pochette when you’re donning the sexy LBD.
If you’re new to shopping for designer handbags, you can also find some great tips for picking out a truly luxurious bag through Rue La La’s Guide to Handbags. Especially if you happen to buy vintage like I did here. This guide will help you know what to look for to make sure you’re not getting tricked into buying a fake. I was surprised to learn some great tips I didn’t even know about, such as checking the zipper to make sure RIRI or MJ is written out on it and checking Dior’s inner sewn-in label for the written serial number on the flip side (Yeah I just went and checked my Dior for this, and whew, big sigh of relief, thank god, there it was!)
You can also find some great care tips for keeping the best possible care of your handbag. I admit, I’m often lazy here, so I was glad to find some great, and easy tips, for making my handbags look their best for as long as possible!
Check out the guide today for lots of great tips, including a cool history timeline on the handbag! While you’re at it, comment below with the essentials you keep in your handbag and check out my handbag essentials below!
My nautical wallet, my Ray Ban Round Sunnies are the two things I absolutely can’t leave home without. Obviously. I keep a stack of business cards in a pretty business card holder in my bag because you never know who you will run into.
Here are my other essentials:
- Nail File– because isn’t it the worst when you need one and don’t have it!
- Luna Protein Bar – I hate getting hungry when I’m out and about. I need a snack. I need snacks often. I eat a lot. (I keep the rest of these in a plastic baggy in case I have a leak, my vintage handbag isn’t ruined).
- Lisa Water lip gloss – What fashionista doesn’t have a fabulous lip gloss on her at all times? I especially love this one because it has a built in light and mirror so you can even apply this in the dark!
- Sunscreen Chapstick – I live in a dry climate and constantly get chapped lips.
- Bath & Body Works Hand Sanitizer – I sometimes leave this out, but with the recent Ebola scare, I am using this constantly now!
- Tide Pen– I can’t even tell you how many times this thing has come in handy. I’ve been using it for years and always keep one on me. I constantly spill when out to dinner or out having a few drinks wit the girls. (This pen once saved a bright yellow pencil skirt from a HUGE blue slushy spill all down the front of me, AND a red wine accident all over my new velour Juicy Couture handbag).
- Sunscreen Stick – I often get caught out in the sun sometimes longer than I’m planning on, so I keep this handy to apply a quick swipe to my face.
- Peter Thomas Roth Hand Lotion – I have dry skin and live in an even drier climate. This is a must for me at all times!
- Starbucks Gum – I’m actually not a big gum chewer but I drink a lot of coffee this time of year and can’t stand the coffee breath, so I keep this gum on hand to use after my morning latte.
Happy Shopping for that Perfect Handbag! xo xo