For those who struggle to get good sleep, they know all too well the negative impact that it can have on their life. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reports that adults should get at least seven hours of sleep per night, or per 24 hour period, for the best health and wellbeing. However, they estimate that around 35 percent of adults do not get enough sleep each night, and it can lead to a variety of problems.
“Many people who can’t maintain consistent, quality sleep want to improve their situation, but they simply don’t know how,” explains John G. McGarvey, co-founder and chief executive officer of DAO Labs, a supplement and lifestyle company that makes Chinese herbal medicine formulas to help with a variety of conditions and improve overall wellbeing. “There are some things you can do to improve your sleep patterns, and you will be far better off once you do them and feel the positive direction it takes your life.”
The CDC reports that not getting enough sleep makes you more likely to be obese, physically inactive, and be a smoker. Not getting enough sleep also, they report, puts you at a higher risk for a variety of health problems, including heart attacks, coronary heart disease, stroke, asthma, arthritis, depression, diabetes, and cancer.
Harvard Medical School reports that sleep and mental health are closely related, and that sleep deprivation affects your psychological state and mental health. They also report that there are more than 70 different types of sleep disorders, with one of the most common ones being insomnia, which is difficulty falling or staying asleep.
The good news is that being proactive and making the commitment to strive for better sleep can help you achieve just that. Here are 5 tried and true tips for those seeking quality, uninterrupted, consistent sleep:
- Create the perfect space. The ideal sleep space should be dark, cool, and comfortable, and not have distractions. Make the bedroom the perfect sleep oasis. Determine what is needed to create the perfect space, which may include room darkening shades, removing the television from the room, or even upgrading to a larger bed.
- Stick to a routine. Setting a routine will get the body in the habit of getting good sleep. Pick an ideal bed time and create a relaxing routine that is done before going to bed each night. Whether it involves doing some stretches, reading for half an hour, or whatever it is, opt for something that gets your body ready to rest and relax. Repeat the routine every night.
- Check your electronics. A study in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, reports that use of technology in the bedroom an hour before bed is prevalent and it is associated with a large number of sleep problems. They state that technology is a contributing factor to sleep disturbances. The bottom line is that it’s better to keep the technology out of the bedroom and stop using it an hour before going to bed, so that it doesn’t have a negative impact.
- Get daily exercise. A study published in the journal Advances in Preventative Medicine, reports that there is mounting evidence that physical exercise is an effective intervention for those who do not experience sleep quantity or quality. Getting physical exercise each day will improve sleep habits. The CDC recommends getting at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity exercise, or 75 minutes per week of vigorous-intensity exercise.
- Try Chinese herbal medicine. Traditional Chinese herbal medicine has been used for thousands of years. DAO Labs offers two Sleep Series Chinese herbal medicine formulas that help you maintain quality, consistent sleep, rather than simply helping you fall to sleep (like many of the sleep supplements currently available.) They are not habit-forming formulas, and have been created to help people sleep throughout the night and not be mentally foggy the next day. Many people have found Chinese herbal medicine formulas to be helpful in improving sleep patterns.
“We have given this advice to many people who have seen wonderful results and now have good sleep patterns,” added McGarvey. “A good sleep pattern doesn’t just happen, it’s something you have to set out to create, and then stick with and see it through. Only then will it become like second nature.”
The Sleep Series offered by DAO Labs includes Physical Tranquility and Mental Tranquility. The first has been designed for the irritable and overheated sleeper, as well as those who experience restlessness and twitching. It’s particularly helpful for women in the menopause phase of their lives. The latter formula has been designed for the person who has a racing, spinning mind that is stressed out in the night, anxious, leading them to disrupted sleep. These herbal formulas are melatonin free and non-habit forming.
DAO Labs offers a range of traditional Chinese herbal medicine formulas to help a variety of conditions. In addition to their Sleep Series, they also offer formulas for achieving superior digestive health, boosting immunity naturally, and a variety of women’s menstrual and fertility health as well. All formulas are designed by Dr. Eric Karchmer, PhD, L.Ac. a doctor of Chinese medicine, who spent nearly six years training in China and is now a leading academic in the field.
DAO Labs’ mission is to deliver wellness through the healing powers of traditional Chinese herbal medicine, and believe that healing begins with nature. DAO Labs strives to deliver wellness through the wisdom of traditional Chinese herbal medicine and the healing powers of their innovative products. With a core belief that healing begins in nature, not in a lab, the company is committed to sustainable sourcing practices. To this end, DAO Labs supports WildAid, a non-profit that is fighting the illegal wildlife trade. One percent of all revenue goes to WildAid. To learn more about DAO Labs and their Chinese herbal medicine powders, visit the site at: https://mydaolabs.com.
About DAO Labs
DAO Labs has a mission of bringing the many benefits of traditional Chinese herbal medicine to today’s wellness explorer. Founded by a team of Chinese herbal medicine experts, the company offers a variety of formulas that help with a variety of conditions impacting health and wellbeing. Their herbal formulas aim to help balance the mind, body, and spirit. To learn more about DAO Labs, visit the site at: https://mydaolabs.com.
What are your tips for a better nights sleep? Let me know in the comments, I love hearing from you!
Like this post? Please share!