The holidays are here and after stepping on my scale this morning for the first time in months, I was surprised and instantly depressed to see I’ve gained about 10 pounds. What the?! Where did that even come from! I know I’ve been eating a few more treats, and slacking on the workouts, and eating more bread and cheese, and watching more TV. Okay, okay. It’s starting to make sense now. The cooler weather can be a damper for having the motivation to get outside and get moving, and the Holidays packed with its yummy treats, and stress of hosting parties, buying gifts, etc., can certainly take away from the time and motivation to work out and eat right as well. Add this to the already grueling work week (which is even busier for me and many others this time of year) and like me, you may find yourself not getting much of anything healthy done!
Luckily, there are easy ways and fixes to help make your work day and holiday season healthier (and I will be implementing these tips immediately to help me get back down to my goal weight!) Read on for easy weight loss and health tips you can start incorporating into your workday today!
6 Simple Tips for Making the work day Healthier:
- Workout First thing, before work. When I know I have a busy day ahead, my workouts immediately go to the way side. I think to myself, “I need to hurry and get through such and such, I’ll wait until I’m done to see if I have time to work out.” Well, this can easily become a recipe for disaster. Just ask me how many times I’ve said this to myself this month and how many times I’ve worked out! Yeah, I’ve said it nearly every work day, worked out a total of 3 times so far this month. Ouch! Get up earlier and get your workout in first thing. I’m not a morning person and I hate waking up and getting out of my warm bed when it’s dark and cold out more than anyone! But I find that If I make myself do it first thing, I am much more motivated to get up and do it then waiting later on in the day!
- Make Yourself a Quick Protein Shake On-the-go! Pressed for time after working out? Get in a yummy breakfast and please do not skip or substitute with coffee! Your body needs the nutrients especially after working out and skipping breakfast will only put your body into starvation mode where it will start storing your lunch and dinner as fat. Protein keeps you fuller longer and is exactly what your body needs after a workout. Shakes are usually very low calorie too, so it’s almost like you never ate breakfast anyway! Just be sure to shop for a low-sugar shake, and if you’re vegetarian like I am, there are still lots of great vegan protein shakes out there too. If you’ve got more time, make a smoothie with healthy fruit and spinach or kale. Tip: I also like to throw in chia, flaxseed, and hemp seeds into my smoothies or protein shake for even more protein!
- Plan and Pack your lunch before you head out the door. Pack it, don’t buy it at the restaurant! Packing your own healthy lunch versus eating out is one of the best ways to drop pounds quickly. Food cooked in restaurants are usually fat-laden, high in sugar, and extremely high in calories. By packing your own lunch, you can effectively manage your calorie, sugar, and fat intake. I love a healthy salad, soup, or half peanut butter and sugar-free jam sandwich on wheat bread. Don’t forget to pack some healthy fruits, veggies, nuts, boiled eggs, string cheese, and/or low sugar protein bars to snack on during your breaks. Tip: My favorite handy tool for organizing my lunch for work is the Jaxx Fitpak Meal Prep Bag. This awesome bag perfect for taking to work, features microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe portion control containers to help keep your lunch and snacks perfectly proportioned! Work somewhere that doesn’t have a fridge? This awesome insulated pack contains a non-toxic ice pack that fits perfectly between the 6 leak-proof containers to keep everything cool until lunch time! It also comes with a handy shaker bottle for that protein drink you made for breakfast AND a pill pocket/vitamin pack perfect for taking your supplements on the go!
- Get out and take a few extra steps anywhere possible during your day! I know it’s cold and the last thing I want to do is park further from my work to walk more steps in the freezing cold, but do it anyway! Getting in more steps in a day can do amazing things for the body, mind, and health! Get out and walk on your break too. If it’s too cold out, walk up and down a few flight of stairs, and of course take the stairs instead of the elevator throughout your work day whenever possible. Walk to your co-worker’s desk instead of sending an email. Stand up and walk around your office or desk while talking on the phone. Aim to get that 10,000 steps a day and you’ll be well on your way to shedding a few pesky pounds!
- Unwind After work with Some Meditation. This has easily become one of my favorite parts of the day, yet one I tend to skip often as I find myself hurried to get through my day. Meditation doesn’t have to take long, you can do it in just 5 minutes, and it’s a great way to come home and unwind after a long work day. Let your family know you need some time to yourself when you first arrive home each day, find a quiet space, sit on the floor on a cushion with your back against the wall, and download or play a quick meditation off youtube. Concentrate on your breathing, and use some essential oils and a diffuser to get even more relaxing mind and body health benefits. My favorites are the Organic Aroma’s Premium Essential Oil Blends and waterless Nebulizing Essential Oil Diffuser from Organic Aromas. These lovely blends take the guesswork out of which essential oils to mix together to get the invigorating experience you’re looking for. Choose from oils that will awaken, inspire, and relax the mind. No need to add water to this beautifully designed essential oil diffuser from Organic Aromas. Simply add 6-7 drops of your favorite oil through the top of the diffuser and turn the nob to control how aromatic your oil diffusion will be. I love the pretty light up feature with it that I find relaxing and mood-enhancing all on it’s own! This diffuser can also easily fill a whole room very quickly, so you will still get the maximum benefits of using the essential oil even with that quick 5-minute meditation! The whisper quiet motor also won’t interupt your meditation and the diffuser has automatic shut off, leaving you one less thing to worry about after relaxing your mind and body!
- Get to sleep on time or even a bit earlier! You know you’re sleep is important, so be sure you get it! Especially because the day seems more stressful without it, not to mention research shows you consume more calories when you don’t get your sleep! You’re also more likely to sleep in through that workout if you didn’t get to bed early enough! Wind down a few hours before bedtime and put the phones and computer away. Take a natural sleep aid 30 minutes before bed time if you need a little help falling asleep.
There you have it! 6 Simple tips to help you have a healthier workday! Don’t forget to carve out some well-deserved “Me-time” this weekend to reward yourself for taking the steps necessary throughout your work week to be a healthier you!
Happy Healthy Holidays!
What are some of your favorite health and wellness tips for surviving the work week? Let me know in the comments, I love hearing from you!
*This is a sponsored blog post. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are solely my own. I only share reviews with my readers, I feel will be beneficial or informative in some way.