Tis the season for over-indulgence. Drinks at the beach, partying ’til late in the night. While this may seem like harmless fun, in
excess can take a toll on your body, and some will be left with some not so summer bliss hangover
Dr. Christopher Calapai, D.O., a New York City Osteopathic
Physician board certified in family and anti-aging medicine, suggests the following
natural remedies for getting rid of that pesky morning aftermath hangover:
1) Drink water and other liquids too! Drink a good amount of water before [going
out] — at least 6 to 8 glasses, with a little lemon or orange, which are acidic and
balance your pH. If in the case this does not happen, rehydrate and flush the
impurities from your system with electrolyte-filled drinks. I.e. sports drinks,
coconut water, or bouillon soup for salt and potassium restoration the morning
2) Ginger is packed with vitamins and minerals making it a great remedy for
settling an upset stomach. Add honey, as it contains fructose, which will help the
body metabolize and burn off any alcohol still in your system.
3) Alka-Seltzer – Get a different type of bubbly in your system! Alka-seltzer
varieties contain sodium bicarbonate (also known as baking soda), which can help
settle an uneasy tummy by neutralizing stomach acid.
4) Go Bananas for Bananas – A lot of potassium is drained from your body when
you drink heavenly. Bananas are bursting with potassium and will the you the
giddy-up and go your body may be needing!
5) Exercise – Even when you don’t feel like it, it can help to stimulate the
release of endorphins, resulting in a better mood and a better state of mind as you
recover from your hangover.
6) Multivitamin – Taking a vitamin supplement before drinking and one the next
morning with food is a great source of rejuvenating the vitamins lost due to
drinking, as alcohol is a natural diuretic.
7) Eat a big meal before! – We all know how it is to get caught up in the
celebrations and fun, but it can be a game changer if you can remember to do this. A
large meal will coat your stomach lining, helping to better absorb alcohol.