Do you have health on the mind? You’re not alone. Studies show that a commitment to a healthier lifestyle is one of the top New Year’s resolutions every year.
If you’d like to bring a bit more health with you into the new year, read on for 17 different ways to do so.
Healthy Diet Tips
Adopting a healthier diet is a go-to way that many people bring a bigger focus to health in the new year. Do so with the following ideas:
1. Commit to incorporating more whole foods into your diet. These contain many more nutrients than simple carbohydrates. Opt for whole wheat bread instead of white, sweet potatoes instead of russets, and brown rice instead of white rice.
2. Practice eating more slowly. Have you ever eaten a big meal only to find that, about half an hour later, you’re totally stuffed? The hormones that signal to your body when you’re full take about 20 minutes to get to your brain. By eating more slowly, you can stay more in-tune with your body’s signals.
3. Don’t forget probiotics! Fermented foods with live cultures are essential to a healthy gut. Incorporate things like yogurt, kombucha, kefir, and sauerkraut into your regular diet.
4. Never grocery shop hungry. You’ll end up with tons of things in your cart that you wouldn’t normally. Instead, make a list and stick to it. You’ll find that your groceries skew much healthier.
5. Remember: balance. A healthy diet is never about demonizing or restricting foods. For a true healthy diet that you’ll be able to maintain, you need to strike a good balance between all types of foods.
Sleep Hygiene Tips
You may be thinking, “What’s sleep got to do with it?” Sleep is just as important to your health as diet and exercise. It helps regulate your emotions, immune system, and more. Here are our best tips:
6. Establish a bedtime routine and stick to it, even on weekends. Our bodies don’t respond well to large shifts in our sleep schedules. Wake up and go to sleep around the same general time each day for optimal sleep.
7. Put all screens away 30 minutes before bedtime. The blue light emitted by computers, TVs, and cell phones disrupts your circadian rhythm, the natural 24-hour cycle that rules your day. Ease yourself into sleep by turning them all off well before bed.
8. For better quality sleep, consider taking a sleep supplement, like CBD capsules or vape juice for sleep (https://cbdfx.com/collections/cbd-vape-pens/). These combine non-psychoactive CBD with valerian root for a better night’s sleep.
9. Cut out caffeine in the afternoon. It’s okay if you need a cup of coffee to help you wake up, but caffeine later in the day can keep you up all night long.
10. Consider adding blackout curtains in your bedroom. These are especially helpful if you live in a bustling city or an area with lots of outdoor lights.
Physical Health Tips
11. Get your 30 minutes of exercise each day. It doesn’t have to be a trip to the gym or a body blasting bootcamp. Go for a hike, have a dance party with your kids, or take a dip in the nearest body of water.
12. Speaking of exercise, try to do it outside whenever possible. Your body needs vitamin D and fresh air to function. Work out outside and you’ll kill two birds with one stone!
13. Walk more. If you live in a suburban area, it’s likely that you rarely walk anywhere. Make a conscious effort to walk more each day. Park in the furthest corner of the parking lot, walk to the market instead of driving, or simply go for a stroll in the neighborhood.
Mental Health Tips
14. Prioritize your needs by getting comfortable with saying “No.” Don’t overcommit yourself. Instead, make sure you have plenty of time to recharge.
15. Practice mindfulness. Use a guided meditation each day or set a 5-minute timer and focus on your breath.
16. See a therapist, if possible. You can do talk and text therapy from the comfort of your home with apps from the app store.
17. Celebrate yourself. Your achievements are important and valuable. Find ways to celebrate them!
With these 17 tips on hand, you’ll be on your way to living a happy, healthy lifestyle.
Like this post? Please share!
Have any of these tips helped you? Let me know in the comments! I love hearing from you!