*This is a sponsored post. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are solely my own. I only share reviews with my readers, I feel will be beneficial or informative in some way.
The holidays are rapidly approaching and while many of us will be spending time outdoors bundled up to stay warm, hopefully, you won’t be hiding that less than perfectly-white smile!
A few years back I took this pic while on a fun dog sledding ride on a Winter Weekend trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. While you totally can’t see my smile here thanks to being wrapped up as warmly as I possibly could, I have noticed that over the years, I show less of my teeth in pictures. Part of the reason for that is because I was so lazy when it came to wearing my retainer after my braces were removed in high school and my upper teeth have started shifting back to their less than perfect position. But mainly, it’s because over the last 37 years, my teeth have aged too, and they aren’t quite as white as they once were, probably largely thanks to my coffee habits.
Along with daily coffee and tea drinking, there are probably several habits that have caught up with many of us and our teeth over the years. Read on for some of my tips, and tips from MouthHealthy.org to help you brighten up your smile this Holiday Season!
5 Simple Tips for a Brighter, Whiter Smile this Holiday Season:
- Know that coffee can stain your teeth. I know in recent years in my biyearly trips to the dentist, my dental hygienist will ask me nearly every time, “Are you a coffee drinker?” Yep, my yellowing teeth from my cup a day habit is giving me away! Also, while this may seem weird, if having a white smile is important to you, consider drinking your coffee or tea out of a straw. This helps the dark liquid pass by your teeth with less contact. It won’t totally keep your teeth from staining, but it may help with leaving less of that permanent icky brown color behind. Keep in mind the other things that are known to stain teeth, too: tea, wine and tobacco.
- Get into a mouth cleansing routine your teeth will thank you for. Switch to a whitening toothpaste containing fluoride. The American Dental Association recommends brushing twice daily (like after your morning coffee!) with a toothpaste bearing the ADA Seal of Acceptance, as well as cleaning between your teeth daily.
- Kick the smoking habit. Yep, not only is smoking adding to some not-so-pleasant breath — not to mention it’s terrible for your health –it’s discoloring your teeth as well. But you already knew that.
- Short on time, but need a bright white smile for that family photo? Use this teeth-whitening hack: wear a bright red or pink lipstick with a blue undertone. It will help make teeth look brighter and whiter instantly! You can also use some white strips for a quick clean up that will leave teeth looking brighter within days! Look for products with the ADA Seal of Acceptance to make sure you’re choosing teeth whitening and other oral health products that are safe for your teeth
5. Visit your dentist regularly. Over the last few years, I’ve been surprised to see how quickly and noticeably plaque has started building up on my teeth. I notice it between my teeth, as it becomes darker and more in-your-face nasty! When visiting my dentist for my regular appointment, I walk out happy and thrilled to see the plaque gone and my teeth and smile looking much brighter and whiter!
Learn more awesome teeth whitening and oral health tips by visiting the Amercian Dental Association!
Hopefully, your holidays will be filled with lots of smiles, bright, white smiles you’ll actually want to show off!
*This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the American Dental Association. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are solely my own. I only share information with my readers that I feel will be beneficial or informative in some way.